Yay its Pancake day well Shrove Tuesday to be precise.
The day where you are acticivly encouraged to eat sugary food layered in syrups and chocolate. Well I’m not going to say no to that.
We love all kinds of pancakes from crepes to american style.
Recently we have been using Jamie Oliver’s recipe which makes light and fluffy American style pancakes. They are simple just the best.
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 115 g plain flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 140 ml milk
- First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter.
- Whisk the whites with 1 pinch of sea salt until they form stiff peaks, then fold into the batter – it is now ready to use.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, pour some of the batter into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, or until it starts to look golden and firm.
- At this point sprinkle your chosen flavouring (see below) onto the uncooked side before loosening with a spatula and flipping the pancake over. Continue frying until both sides are golden.
This year I decided to change the style a little. I wanted something that looked pretty (Instagramable) and was easy for the little ones to eat.
Lets face it as nice as Pancakes are they can be so messy.
So we went miniature. We used strawberries with golden syrup. Bananas and Nutella melted over the top and some with plain sugar.
I used skewers to hold them together and it made it easy for the little ones to bite off.
Yes we had them before the actual day but we had to have a trial run. Cant wait to make them again.
How do you like your Pancakes?